Re: MR-Disc: Activity Survey

Poster: Wynn Klosky <klosky@meeker.UCAR.EDU>

On Tue, 10 Sep 1996 edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com wrote:

Sorry Alfredo, I couldn't remember your scoring system...:^)

> A: Singing songs about the SCA, set to 20th century tunes.
>    (such as "Anachronism" to the tune of "Anticipation")
> B: Singing songs about or from post-Period Scotland, Ireland, or Canada.
>    (such as "How I wish I were in Cherbrook now")

If you feel you must, do this at your own camp where others
can join you away from the main "scene" if they like. Avoid for feast
or other formal sitch. Save the *really* blatant ones for the car trip
(or the after-revel). If you are trying to teach and encourage
period music, you should put CLEAR DISCLAIMERS on things you perform
that are OOP because not everyone (very few, in fact) can tell on
hearing some of the OOP stuff, esp. pre-1850 stuff, that it is
not period, so they might hear it at your fireside and then go
sing it in the great hall. I love singing all sorts of stuff,
but music more than anything can set an INSTANT scene for folks,
and we should endeavour to have the more public, formal scenes
properly set. (This is not to say that I did not enjoy the heck
out of singing some of the Calontiri war songs while fighting
with them at Pennsic, but, well, that's a little different setting
than a 1-day tournament and feast. The shorter the timespan, the
better an image we should be able to maintain.)

> C: Singing songs from the Period in the original language.
>    (such as "Bulluc sterteth, bucke verteth; murie sing cuccu!")
You go! And then teach them all at University!

> D: Having myself called into court to make a fawning tribute to royalty.
> E: Having myself called into court to publicly proclaim love for my wife.
This could make good theatre if you did it somewhere besides court.
Feast or break in tourney might be a good choice. I've seen both things done
before, and I've always thought that doing during court was sort of
predictable. You should do things when we don't expect to watch! (Also
remember Quality Theatre and the Brevity Rule.)

> F: Wearing various unregistered fool attire:
Are you really worried about making a fashion statement? :^)

> G: Bringing in a big box of board games, including:
Bring the period ones! And teach them at University!

> H: Spinning a bamboo humming top.
Is it period? You go, again! But look out, everyone will want one! (And
teach how to make them at University ;^)

> I: Shouting "Vivant!" instead of "Vivat!" when more than one person
>    is being acclaimed.
> J: Shouting "Vivamus!" instead of "Vivat!" when the acclamation is
>    something like "To the Populace"
Sounds like what I was originally taught to do...soooooo...you go!
(I now live in the Land of Huzzahs)

> K: When a lady offers her hand, bowing low and placing her hand on
>    the top of my head.
I'm having problems picturing this, but it sounds funny. (You...
well, you get the idea..:^)

> L: Performing half of a comic dialog in Latin.
Except that everyone will insist on hearing the other half later!

> M: During the feast, proposing a toast ("Incolumes reveniant") for
>    all Scadians mundanely deployed in harm's way.
Toasts done in honour of various folks are usually well-received if done in
good taste and brevity.

branwynn ottersby