Re: Elizabethan ruffs and collars

Poster: carl christianson <einar@cvn.net>

 andreah@cpsnet.com wrote:

>Does any one have any hints or suggestions on what materials to use
>for a golilla (or spanish collar) or a standing collar?  I know they
>should be of lace but I can't find anything that looks period enough.
>Also, any hints on the methods used?

I've never made one, but I have seen a book by Jean Hunnicut on theatrical
costume that could prove handy.  I know that G Street Fabrics in Maryland
and Virginia carries the book, and they do fill mail and/or phone orders.
Could somebody out there post the phone number for those stores for
Giovanna?  As for the material, use a scalloped pendant style lace on the
edge, you'll find it with bridal trims.  I do know that it will require
some sort of supportasse with wiring.  That's all I know.  I believe
Mistress Teleri can tell you a lot more about what to look for in lace than
I can.

Good luck!  Let me know how it goes, I still haven't got the courage to try
it - afraid I'll ruin my lace!

Elen