Re: questions about marzipan

Poster: Beth Morris <bmorris@access.digex.net>

On Tue, 17 Sep 1996, Becky McEllistrem wrote:

<snip>
> days ahead?  What is the best way to store it?  If you're trying to use molds of some sort for making
> people,  are there any good locations for finding said molds?

I don't know precisely about the authenticity of marzipan fruits, but they
certainly had marzipan and they certainly molded and colored about every
other d*mn thing they could, so I assume they did it with marzipan (they
talk about molding it into things, for sure).

Anyhow, for molds one of the better things I've used (and this sounds
dumb, but it works) is the Play-Doh molds and the Play-Doh Pumper....
(I got this idea from Mistress Jaelle - thanks Jae!)  Figure, PlayDoh and
marzipan are about the same consistency....  Just don't use one that's
been used for PlayDoh or wash it *very* thoroughly.

What Martin (?) said about oils is very true - it will go rancid fast if
left
out, but it will get hard if refrigerated unless you can get it in an
airtight container.  Even then, I've had better luck making it pretty
close to the day of.  Although then you run into the problem of overly
warm kitchens and melting marzipan.

Keilyn's 2 cents worth,

Keilyn
Beth Morris