Re: questions about marzipan

Poster: Elisabeth Shyjka <eshyjka@dc.isx.com>

I used to work in a bakery where we used marzipan sculpture to decorate
cakes.  We didn't do anything special to the marzipan.  It usually comes
in a metal or plastic tube just squeeze it out and start using it like
fima or playdough.  The tough part is not letting it get too warm.  It
starts to stick to your fingers.  You can color the marzipan before
molding or paint on the finished figure with food dye.  I have a book at
home about decorating cakes I bet it has more information in it.  I will
check it out this evening.

-Elisabeth
PS we kept the cakes in a chilled case for up to 5 days with the marzipan
figures on them.  Just be careful of the dye.  If it is to damp it will
begin to bleed.  Most marzipan sculpture doesn't taste all that great
after 2 days because it gets kind of crumbly.