Re: Medieval Chronicles - Typescript

Poster: Matthew Allen Newsome <mnewsome@warren-wilson.edu>

On Tue, 15 Oct 1996, Rowanwald South wrote:
> music/upcoming concerts/tartans/merchants/and such... email me
> (rowanwald@wwisp.com) if you're interested.
>
> Rosine

This reminds me...
I've been studying (and still am) Scottish dress throughout our period.
I hope one day (soon) to put the fruits of my research into an article
suitable for the TI, or if not, at least in a format I can have my
college press bind together so I can sell or distribute in classes and such.
When Rosine mentioned tartans it reminded me of something that any
Scottish persona in the SCA should know.
Clan tartans are NOT period.
I can wear a plaid tunic, or cloak, or hat, etc., with no comment.  But
when I wear my old 16th century great kilt, I always get asked "what
tartan is that?"  Or I have people come up to me and say "I want to wear
a great kilt, but I can never find my family's tartan..."
Specific tartans for clans were an inventioin of the Victoian era.  It
was part of the movement to romantisize anything Scottish (much like the
present day movement to romantisize anything Celtic).  Even Lowland and
English families started claiming tartans and highland ancestors.  This
is why you get tartans for families like "White" and "Miller."  Heck, my
college even has it's tartan registered with the Scottish Tartan
Society.  Truth is, in period, tartans were worn.  ("Plaid" is the Gaelic
term for blanket-- which the kilt in its original form resembled;
"tartan" is the criss-cross pattern we commonly call plaid today; "sett"
is the specific pattern of the tartan).  We can document tartans in
Scotland at least to the 14th century, and probably much earlier,
depending on how you read contemporary descriptions.  (Tartans were not
restricted to Scotland, however.  There are period Japanese paintings
showing people wearing tartan patterns).  But in period, people chose
what tartan they wore one three things:  1)what was available-- you could
only purchase what the local weavers couldmake with their skill and dyes
available.  2) What you liked.  3) What you could afford-- the more
intricate the tartan, the higher the cost.  Likewise with expensive or
rare dyes.  This is much the same way I picked the drab brown tartan of
my great kilt off the discount table at my local fabric store.  So I
picked my tartan in a very period way.  I tell people who are interested
in wearing a great kilt not to worry about clan tartans.  If they want to
try to find their family's tartan, great!  But they shouldn't feel like
they have to for SCA purposes.
Ok, I've ranted on enough about tartans.  But I'd love to share more info
on Scottish dress from any period.  If you have any questions, please
feel free to ask!
Aye,
Eogan Og MacLaren