Re: Homage and Fealty

Poster: PETERSR@spiegel.becltd.com (Peters, Rise J.)

Aileen writes:
>>(I'm sworn fealty to Syr Forgal, in a ceremony more resembling the paying
of
>>homage.  As I could be no one's "man", would you then call it "dammage?")

Well, in period Littleton had the following to say about women swearing
homage:

Sec. 87.  Also, if a woman sole [that is, a single woman] shall do homage,
she shall not say, I become your woman; for it is not fitting that a woman
should say, that she will become a woman to any man, but to her husband,
when she is married.  But she shall say, I do to you homage, and to you
shall be faithful and true, and faith to you shall bear for the tenements I
hold of you, saving the faith I owe to our sovereign lord the king.

And there's also a paragraph on how a married couple would do homage and
fealty jointly.

Back on the question of property conveyance... can I assume that my earlier
post on instructions to His Honor the Mayor was =perfect= and that no one
has any alternatives to suggest?  Wow....

Caitlin