(fwd) Re: MR: Wlonk

-- BEGIN included message

Poster: jonesj@SunBelt.Net (Phillip Jones)

Date: Tue, 05 Nov 1996 18:44:17 -0500 (EST)
From: Corun MacAnndra <corun@access.digex.net>
Subject: Re: MR: Wlonk
To: jonesj@SunBelt.Net (Phillip Jones)

jonesj@SunBelt.Net (Phillip Jones) wrote:

>On Tue, 05 Nov 1996 12:59:26 -0500, you wrote:
>
>>Puh-LEEZE! "WL" is just a consonant blend, like "bl" or "pl"; it's just
>>a blend that we're not used to using.  You make the "w" sound with your
>>lips while making the "l" sound with your tongue; there's no theoretical
>>reason why you can't do both at once.
>
>True, they are all consonants, but "b" and "p" are both labials while
>"w" is in another family.  Isn't it a de facto vowel anyway?

This is a very good question. I suppose it depends entirely on the language
you're speaking. You see, in German, w is pronounced like v, but in Welsh,
it's pronounced like oo (the name for the Welsh god of the underworld,
Annwn, is pronounced Annoon). Thus, the word wlonk, if spoken by a Welshman,
might sound like oolonk, while a German might pronounce it vlonk.

So, good Alfredo, just what language is wlonk (or did I miss that in the
first post)?

In service,
Corun (pronounced Corun)