Re: MR: Banter: bagpipes, AOAs, etc.

Poster: blackbow@juno.com (David H Ritterskamp)

n Wed, 6 Nov 1996 16:23:19 -0500 edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com (Ed Hopkins)
writes:

>When an Award of Arms scroll says the recipient now has
>"the right to bear arms", it is NOT referring to weapons,
>but rather to a particular heraldic coat of arms, which

>-- Alfredo

Alfredo - the above is not correct.  The custom is usually fairly well
adhered to that people w/o AoA's are not permitted to bear arms into the
presence of TRM's or TRH's.  Adhered to in court, anyway.

Actually, it isn't referring to the ability to display a particular set
of arms, either - many people that get AoA's don't have registered arms.
The College of Heralds passes it, you can display it, whether you have an
AoA or not.

FYI,

Lord Jonathan Blackbow
[no, really, didn't you see my coat of arms at Crown?  They announced
them right there...so that tabard I was wearing MUST have been it...;>  )