Re: MR: Arms? I thought they were appendages!

Poster: edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com (Alfredo el Bufon)

Laird Eogan Og MacLaren contributes a quarter:

> In a feeble effort to keep this "arms" war from being blown out of
> proportion, here are my two bits:

I hope I haven't given the impression that I thought the Eastern custom
I learned was in any way superior to the Atlantian custom.  If I wanted
to start persuading my fellow Atlantians to adopt any Eastern practices,
it certainly would NOT be the "disarm everyone in court" custom.  (It
would be the "let ladies enter court unescorted" custom.)

> FACT:  I recently received my AoA.

Mazel tov!

> FACT:  I have heard a few times here and there that the only people who
> can legitimately display heraldic arms are those with AoA's.  Usually
> this meets with debate, and it is more generally accepted that the only
> requirement to display heraldic arms is to have them registered.

I don't accept that they have to be registered to display them, but
if you register them, it's more likely they'll appear on something
(like a scroll) that you're presented with as a surprise.  Almost
exactly like registering a china pattern.

> FACT:  I have seen people display heraldic Arms without an AoA.  I have
> also seen people display heraldic Arms without having them registered.
> It's a moot point.

With respect, I must dispute this fact.  I believe that what you saw
those unlettered people display was heraldic _Devices_.  It is a
perfectly understandable observational error; only trained SCA heralds
are able to make the distinction.  (Mundane heralds don't)

> FACT:  I was told at my first event 3 years ago that if I was called in
> court, remove any weapons I had on me.  I was.

At your first event?  I am impressed.

>                                                And I did.  I have seen
> other people do the same at almost every event I have been to in any type
> of court.  I have seen more than a few people be asked to remove their
> arms in the presence of their Majesties.  I don't think anyone can argue
> successfully that this is not a "custom and tradition" (quoting my AoA
> scroll) of Atlantia.

Well, one could argue that none of the people you saw so asked had an AoA.

I think that _if_ we wanted to make _clear_ that an AoA _does_ confer the
right to wear a sword in court, the best way to do that would be for the
king to bid every new recipient of an AoA to arm himself (or herself),
either with the weapons he or she removed upon entering court, or with
ceremonial loaner weapons.  Just a suggestion.

> An Award of Arms is first and foremost a recognition of good acheivements
> and devotion to the game we all enjoy to play.  It is not a privledge, it
> is a duty.  Every Lord and every Lady has the same responsibility to the
> populace at large and ESPECIALLY newcomers as do the King and Queen.  To
> make this game come alive in our eyes, our ears, and our hearts.    To
> make the rest of us suspend our disbeleif for a little while and envision
> ourselves in an earlier time.  Whether or not we can display such and
> such or carry such and such is secondary.

Well said!

> Laird Eogan Og MacLaren

You used to sign your name without the "Og".  What does it mean?

-- Alfredo