Re: MR: Arms? I thought they were appendages!

Poster: Alys of Foxdale <foxdale@wolfstar.com>

> Poster: Matthew Allen Newsome <mnewsome@warren-wilson.edu>
>
> So is there a way of telling Ars from Devices?  Or are they just two
> names for the same thing belonging to different people (one with and one
> without an AoA)?

That is precisely the difference between arms and devices.  An AoA
gives you the right to bear arms, but until you reach that point you
may bear a device instead.  In fact, you may still refer to it as a
device even after receiving an AoA.

> > > Laird Eogan Og MacLaren
> >
> > You used to sign your name without the "Og".  What does it mean?
> >
> > -- Alfredo
>
> "Og" is Gaelic for young.  Like Rob Roy means Rob the Red.  Eogan Og is
> Eogan the Young.  It's documentable period (although I just have my name
> registered as Eogan MacLaren, I added the Og later).  And besides that, I
> head a small clan of misfits known as Clan Og.  We are a small,
> relatively new household dedicated to the noble and chivalric goal of not
> taking ourselves too seriously.  We like to remind everyone (including
> ourselves) that the Modern Middle Ages is fun, Period does not equall
> stuffy and boring, and above all that the SCA is a GAME!  (albeit a very
> special game).  Hence our motto:  "It's Only A Game!"
> Aye,
> Eogan

A laudable goal indeed!  And is your clan located in Tir nan'Og?  ;)

   Alys of Foxdale        | Vert, on a fess between three trees
foxdale@wolfstar.com      |     argent, a fox passant gules.