RE: Escorting Ladies

Poster: Keith Vaughn <KVAUGHN@fcc.gov>

Alianora wrote:
"For what it's worth, I think the custom of escorting ladies into court is a
fairly new one....." (cut to save space)

The practice of escorting ladies also has to do with TRMs of the time.
For example HRH Cuan has long maintained that as a courtesy, all Ladies
entering court should be offered an escort, if not by her Lord/Lady, than
by a member of the royal entourage.  Now don't take this to mean that all
ladies "require" an escort, but rather the offer should be made as a
courteous gesture.  In fact, as many royal groupies from previous reigns
can attest to, there are many Ladies who do not desire an escort, and in
such cases none are forced upon them.  Having been a member of the
entourage for the four consecutive reigns prior to the present (plus the
preceding two reigns in Drachenwald), I have found that most Ladies
enjoy the escort, especially when kneeling and standing in full court
finery.  Does the escort need to be an armed member of the opposite
sex?  No.  In fact, I witnessed many peers escorting their apprentices
into court and "presenting them" to the Thrones (a practice I personally
enjoy for the sense of pagentry and realism).

My personal feeling on the whole subject is that escorting a Lady into
court should be looked upon in the same light as asking someone if they
would like assistance carrying something.  Simple courtesy which seems
to flourish in the Society, helping to make the game more enjoyable
for everyone (besides be a great way to flirt :-)

Xenophon