Re: boring court? (was re: escorting ladies)

Poster: Scott Silvers/James of Westmorland <ssilvers@liberty.uc.wlu.edu>

	I find that it depends on the court and where I am during it.  If
I am stuck towards the back, I find that I tend to be bored.  Fact is,
you can't hear anything unless you're in the first row or two of people.
Then court just becomes a series of people kneeling before whoever is
holding court broken by occasional speaches by the herald and cries of
"VIVAT!"
	With regards to the original post about escorting ladies, I think
it depends upon the sitation and the lady.  Yes, I think it adds to the
pagentry and atmosphere when the lady is escorted, but by the same token,
the lady shouldn't have an escort thrust upon her.  A lady should have an
escrt pre arranged, should she be called into court (something along the
lines of "If I'm ever called into court, would you escort me in?").  To
do otherwise can be seen as an insult by the lady.  (There are plenty of
ladies in the SCA who could take on most of us men, and are in no need of
an escort if they do not desire one).   I would personally never let my
lady go into court unescorted, but she is my lady, and she wants me to
accompany her (Her first time called into court was our Baronial Court at
Pennsic XXV, and we were both called up at the same time.  She squeezed
my hand so hard that it took almost 5 minutes for the numbness to go
away).  If she ever told me she wanted to go up alone, I would let her.
It is her time and her decision (and besides, I know I've got no chance
in an argument).  Well, that's my two pence.  Anyone else?

				-James

___________________    ___________________________________________
|                 |    | James Beckett of Westmorland, Seneschal |
|-----------------|    | Incipient College of Marshals' Keep	 |
|        /\       |    | Barony of Black Diamond                 |
|      /    \     |    | Atlantia                                |
|      \    /     |    | Scott Silvers                           |
|        \/       |    | Washington & Lee University             |

Visit the College of Marshals' Keep Home Page at
	http://www.wlu.edu/~sca