Re: boring court?

Poster: edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com (Alfredo el Bufon)

James Beckett of Westmorland writes in re boring courts:

> 	I find that it depends on the court and where I am during it.  If
> I am stuck towards the back, I find that I tend to be bored.  Fact is,
> you can't hear anything unless you're in the first row or two of people.
> Then court just becomes a series of people kneeling before whoever is
> holding court broken by occasional speaches by the herald and cries of
> "VIVAT!"

This is a real problem, and it's aggravated by having the thrones way off
at the end of the hall.  I'd like to see a court where the thrones are in
the center of the hall, on a rotating "court in the round" platform.
However, this would be an expensive proposition, and it would not
solve the problem of some of those courts (in the East) which I found
to be boring even from the first row.  But I do have an inexpensive
solution to boring courts, audible and inaudible: a quarter-inch
wooden dowel, about a foot long, attached to a one-inch ring by
a short length of string.  Whenever the court starts to get boring,
I see if I can toss the ring onto the dowel.  I will always cherish
the memory of seeing a queen silently applaud my success at this
while her lord was making a long speech.

I have two of the ring-toss games; if anyone wants to borrow one,
see me before court.

> [...] I would personally never let my lady go into court unescorted
> [...] If she ever told me she wanted to go up alone, I would let her.

Would you tackle the lord that the King would then send to escort her?

-- Alfredo

Alfredo el Bufon
Elvegast, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia
edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com