Re: Fencing ban in Meridies

Poster: James and Nancy Gilly <KatieMorag@worldnet.att.net>

At 22:42 10-11-96 +0000, you wrote:

>Poster: "Greg Lindahl" <lindahl@pbm.com>
>
>> The
>> fighter's gorget is guite up to  protecting from penetration which is a more
>> likely injury when fencing; the fencer's mask does not fully protect if the
>> blade has a tip.  Ask my father; he was uninjured when the blade went
>> through, but it took five minutes to bring his opponenet around.
>
>There is a large pile of evidence that fencing masks generally do
>succeed in stopping broken blades. I would personally feel safer if
>SCA marshals used 12 kilogram punches to punch-test masks on a regular
>basis; this should catch most faulty masks. I believe the one mundane
>mask penetration was a faulty mask which had still passed a punch-test
>(they only punch a couple of places); was your father's mask sub-standard?
>
>Gregory Blount

Thank you for the further information, I am much more up to date on heavy
weapons than on fencing, and do occasionally stick my oar in without full
info to back myself up.  I am not sure whether it was my father's mask or
the neck cover just below it that was penetrated, this was back in
1950-something at Cornell.

Philippa