Re: boring court? (was re: escorting ladies)

Poster: "Sharon Henderson" <sharon@intercon.com>

Bryn scripsit:

> Poster: Bryn Watkins <bryn@tibinc.com>

> This brings to the forefront a question I've had for years- Do
> people REALLY hate court as much as this?  And if so, WHY?  I love
> court.  I've even been called up into it a few times (for contest
> awards, and the sheep->shawl thing at crown, but not actual awards), and
> I didn't find it embarrassing at all.  Rather spiff (or wlonk, even),
> in fact.  Even when I'm not called up into court, I find I quite like
> it.  It's fun.  It's meant to be fun.  It's a bit of
> pageantry, ostentatious display, whatever.  But I haven't yet found
> myself to be bored by court.  Even when it lasts for more than 10
> minutes.
> I've even been known to think that some courts are too long.  And
> I'm working on 7 years a scadian.

and Meli doth reply:

I got called into court at TRM's Coronation, for the first time in 23 years of
off-again, on-again playing in the SCA, between Carolingia of blessed memory,
and Ponte Alto, my happy home nowadays.  Vis-a-vis the current discussions:

a) Kevin of Thornbury escorted me into court.  TRUST me, I needed it....  :-)
I was very well aware of where the thrones were, and was a nervous wreck.  A
joyous nervous wreck, but still....  :-)  Didn't bother me at all to be
escorted, but I can understand where some folks might not prefer it.  Put me
in on the side of the debate marked "Preference of the Callee".  :-)

b) I have almost never found Court to be a boring thing.  I like seeing people
get awards, be given thanks, be told they are doing good work, etc., etc.
Yes, court can go a bit long -- but so what?  A recent meeting at work where I
was told I had "done good" on a project to which I gave my all "went a bit
long" too, but the end result was well worth it.

Libra with Libra rising....  never totally disagree, and try to make
everything come out all right....  :-)  What can I say?

Cheers,
Meli