Re: Smoking on the field

Poster: edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com (Ed Hopkins)

Speaking (as is his wont) in square brackets, on the subject
of smoking, Lord Jonathan Blackbow said, in part:

> [... you can do four things about it -
> 1) gripe and groan to anyone who will listen, EXCEPT the person
>      involved, (IMO, the worst choice)
> 2) decide that the offense isn't serious enough for you to have
>      the guts/moxie/whatever to confront the person, in which case
>      you really should just shut up,
> 3) make yourself a nuisance in your attempts to correct it, or
> 4) politely mention it to the person involved, request that the
>      situation be corrected, and then chase it as far up the
>      ladder as you need to.
> ...]

For some insight into how the matter was handled in the Period,
I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong) that King James I of
England (James V of Scotland) liked to use a bucket of water to
put out anyone he caught smoking.  (I daresay that falls under
option 3).  Or, if you don't consider his reign to be in the Period,
consider that his predecessor, Queen Elizabeth, had Sir Walter Raleigh
beheaded.

-- Alfredo
(I'm so tired, my mind is on the blink.)

Alfredo el Bufon
Elvegast, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia
edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com