Re: Smoking on the field (fwd)

Poster: Lance Harrop <lharrop@mrj.com>

Your Excellency writes:

> But let's not start talking about abolishing laws that are not enforced. If
> you're not enforcing them yourself, it's not the fault of the law.

True, but if what the law outlaws is not regarded as an offense, then the
law is pointless.  There are laws in most states of this country
outlawing adultary, but most are not enforced because we've come to the
conclusion that adults, even married ones, have a privacy right to engage
in consensual sex.  If the Atlantian law on smoking is not enforced
because people do not consider smoking an offense, then it is a pointless
law.

Actually, King Logan and Duke Michael were smoking in the middle of the
list field between bouts and generally away from everybody else.  They
were obviously taking a break from their duties as marshals of the
tourney.  Anyone who HAD to come up and talk to them would have seen that
they were smoking (though His Majesty was much better in diguising this
then His Grace) and could have taken that into account.  The smoke of
their cigerretes might have wafted into someone face, I can't say.  I am
sure THEY did not think they were giving offense.

Truthfully, as smoking around people who don't like it or are
allergic to it is simply a discourtesy which anyone in the Society should
avoid, I don't believe we really need a special rule.  But it probably
wouldn't hurt to bring it up in Curia, just to remind us all why such
rules exist.

In Service
Leifr Johansson