Re: Pompous fool

Poster: John Strauss <jstrauss@gmu.edu>

On Fri, 15 Nov 1996, Lance Day wrote:

> Miriam,
>
> You know, you should be _very_ skeptical of any advertising on
> the Internet; even if it is from Henry!

I would rephrase that to say "You should be skeptical of any
advertising." There isn't really any need to qualify it further.

That being said, "pompous ass" has that indefinable ring of True
Advertising, kind of like the Volvo commercial Dudley Moore did in (can't
remember the name of the movie). "It's boxy; but it's safe." Words to
that effect, anyway.

> His PQ (pompousness quotient) was unsatisfactorially low.
> As a matter of fact, he was downright _unpompous_.

Well, I _did_ pontificate. That's kind of the same thing.

> On second thought, maybe I'm wrong about the details of the
> work performed. I might have contracted him on "will BS for supper"
> instead, in which case he performed most marvellously!

Bingo! Reread your contract. You will find, in fact, that I agreed to "BS
for lunch". Pompous costs extra, as I find it rather hard work. BSing,
however, I will sometimes do pro bono, just to keep my hand in.

Please don't claim that I contracted a service and failed to deliver. I
have my professional reputation to consider, after all.

-Henry

      John Strauss             |    if mail bounces, try
      jstrauss@gmu.edu         |    jstrauss@poboxes.com