Re: Escorting Ladies (long)

Poster: jonesj@SunBelt.Net (Phillip Jones)

On Sat, 09 Nov 1996 16:36:47 -0500, you wrote:

Wonderful research (thanks) snipped....

>As for the providing assistance for those who need help getting up from
>kneeling or stumbling over garments, there should be someone among the
>Crown's or Baron(ess)'s attendants to stand ready to offer assistance. This
>is quite a different issue than that of insisting that women only receive
>an escort into court.

I recall being called into court after a long and dehydrating day. As
I knelt, both thighs went into massive cramps. I would not then (nor
would I now) refuse an assist.

Nor would I be insulted should some good gentle recall Xenophon's
words and choose to flirt with me by offering to escort me should I
ever be called back into The August Presence. But I'll also never jump
up and run across court in order to escort someone who I'm not certain
would want me to.

Phillip (straddling that fence) Bell

İİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİRst Archives, FAQ, FTP:  http://sca.wayfarer.org/merryrose/