Re: Smoking and Law

Poster: Lance Harrop <lharrop@mrj.com>

Lord Gregory writes:

> But there are two big differences between smoking on the list field
> during crown tournament and embezzling funds: no one thinks enbezzling
> funds is a good idea, and it's against mundane law. On the other hand,
> if you took a public opinion poll, you would probably find that
> smoking on the list field during crown tournament has a lot more
> support.

Actually, I don't think that is correct.  You might, though, find there is a
significant portion of the populace who believe smoking on the list field
is not an offense, if, as was the case, the perpetrators where far from
other people and their smoke most likely did not reach anyone else.

While the middle of a list field between rounds is still the central area
of an event, it is not crowded environment likely to cause suffering from
second-hand smoke.

Perhaps we might better consider if we regard smoking as a physical
assault on other attendees of an event, and therefore an offense, or
whether we regard smoking cigerettes as an obtrusive modernerity, just as
flash photography is?

Which offense is the law meant to curb?  It is grouped with the law on
flash photography, one might suppose because it is excessively modern!

Leifr Johansson