Re: Smoking and Law

Poster: edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com (Alfredo el Bufon)

Lord Leifr Johansson writes, in part:

> While the middle of a list field between rounds is still the central area
> of an event, it is not a crowded environment likely to cause suffering
> from second-hand smoke.

This assertion seems to disregard postings on this list from
gentles who have had to avoid tourneys altogether because of
second-hand smoke.

Lord Leifr goes on to say:

> Perhaps we might better consider if we regard smoking as a physical
> assault on other attendees of an event, and therefore an offense, or
> whether we regard smoking cigerettes as an obtrusive modernerity, just
> as flash photography is?
>
> Which offense is the law meant to curb?  It is grouped with the law on
> flash photography, one might suppose because it is excessively modern!

Is it a fact that flash photography _is_ banned on the grounds of
obtrusive modernerity, rather than on the grounds that it assaults
the sensibilities of others?  After all, non-flash photography is
also modern.

-- Alfredo

Alfredo el Bufon
Elvegast, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia