Re: Smoking and Law

Poster: homan@nando.net (Fred Homan)

Alfredo el Bufon wrote the following:
> Is it a fact that flash photography _is_ banned on the grounds of
> obtrusive modernerity, rather than on the grounds that it assaults
> the sensibilities of others?  After all, non-flash photography is
> also modern.

If it isn't, it should be the rationale of the law.  I do see allowing
modern photography (Non-flash variety), though, because we are otherwise
passing up the opportunity to do what our predecessors in the Middle Ages
paid lots of money to do: record people.  After all, that's why portraits
were a big deal, right?  Besides, mundanely speaking, photographs provide
a useful tool for showing what we do, how we do it, etc as propaganda.
And, also mundanely, a lot of people I know like taking pictures as
keep sakes and remembrances.  "Look, there's me and Hrothgar at Pennsic
XIV.  Remember that one?  That's when Althaea and I first..."  Well, you
get the picture!

--
Aedric the Green					IKA Fred Op
House Howling Mouse					homan@nando.net