Re: Glasses, Smoking and Law

Poster: Alys of Foxdale <foxdale@wolfstar.com>

> > Leifr wrote
> >
> > To which Aedric replied,
> > > Speaking as a glasses-wearer, I would say that while glasses might
> > > be most annoying they are downright necessary for some of us and I
> > > have not seen any frames which would look proper (nor have I the
> > > skill nor time to make any myself).
>
> Since most medieval glasses were in metal or tortoiseshell frames, and
> were round, a modern metal or tortoiseshell frame with round lenses would
> be reasonably close.  The only difference is that medieval European frames
> that weren't pincenez were apparently held on with string loops around the
> ears (oriental ones had string that went over the ears and had weights on
> the end - rather close to a modern temple in shape if not material).  I
> don't have the address to hand, but medieval pince-nez reproduction frames
> are available, I saw an advertisement for them somewhere (whether Rialto,
> TI, or other, I don't recall offhand).

I remember from a dozen years ago (before I followed my friends into
the SCA!) that one of the very first CA's was on period glasses and
frames.  The frames described were, alas, crashingly ugly.

> I also know one person who got contact lenses _only_ because her persona
> wouldn't have worn glasses.

As someone who meets at least one definition for legally blind without
correction, I assert that contact lenses, if suitable for your eyes,
are a godsend!

> =Tamar the Gypsy (sharing account dickeney@access.digex.net)

   Alys of Foxdale        | Vert, on a fess between three trees
foxdale@wolfstar.com      |     argent, a fox passant gules.