Re: Glasses, Smoking and Law

Poster: Dick Eney <dickeney@access.digex.net>

On Thu, 21 Nov 1996, Ed Hopkins wrote:
> Poster: edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com (Ed Hopkins)
> Leifr wrote
> > > But on the other hand, I don't always wear period shoes, and I
> > > have not made period glasses, so I shouldn't critize people for
> > > obtrusive modernity.
>
> To which Aedric replied,
> > Speaking as a glasses-wearer, I would say that while glasses might
> > be most annoying they are downright necessary for some of us and I
> > have not seen any frames which would look proper (nor have I the
> > skill nor time to make any myself).

Since most medieval glasses were in metal or tortoiseshell frames, and
were round, a modern metal or tortoiseshell frame with round lenses would
be reasonably close.  The only difference is that medieval European frames
that weren't pincenez were apparently held on with string loops around the
ears (oriental ones had string that went over the ears and had weights on
the end - rather close to a modern temple in shape if not material).  I
don't have the address to hand, but medieval pince-nez reproduction frames
are available, I saw an advertisement for them somewhere (whether Rialto,
TI, or other, I don't recall offhand).

> I also wear mundane glasses at events, but I have met a man who refuses
> to wear his glasses at events, although he is extremely nearsighted without
> them, on the grounds that his persona would not have glasses.  As an extra
> bonus, he's never seen anyone smoking at an event.

I don't have to _see_ it, I can _smell_ it, from 5 feet away when the
person isn't actually smoking, by walking through the door that the
smokers use, etc.  The residual smoke gets in my hair and I wonder again
why I bother washing it before going out.

I also know one person who got contact lenses _only_ because her persona
wouldn't have worn glasses.

> On the other hand, he doesn't mind pretending that everyone in the
> medieval world spoke one language -- we all pick our own areas to
> be authentic in.
> -- Alfredo
> (speaking of Duke Sir Cariadoc of the Bow)

=Tamar the Gypsy (sharing account dickeney@access.digex.net)
 My persona would be dead at my age; should I wear a shroud?