Glasses (was Re: Smoking and Law)

Poster: Tanner Lovelace <lovelace@acm.org>

Leifr originally wrote
>>> But on the other hand, I don't always wear period shoes, and I have not
>>> made period glasses, so I shouldn't critize people for obtrusive
>>> modernity.

To which Aedric replied,
>> Speaking as a glasses-wearer, I would say that while glasses might be most
>> annoying they are downright necessary for some of us and I have not seen
>> any frames which would look proper (nor have I the skill nor time to make
>> any myself).  I will continue wearing my modern glasses because I have no
>> choice else I be handicapped at an event to the point where I might even
>> need a guide.

And Alfredo followed up with,
> I also wear mundane glasses at events, but I have met a man who refuses
> to wear his glasses at events, although he is extremely nearsighted without
> them, on the grounds that his persona would not have glasses.  As an extra
> bonus, he's never seen anyone smoking at an event.  On the other hand,
> he doesn't mind pretending that everyone in the medieval world spoke one
> language -- we all pick our own areas to be authentic in.
>
> -- Alfredo
> (speaking of Duke Sir Cariadoc of the Bow)

My wife has at various times brought up to me the point that most
people in today's society are nearsighted by too much reading in
bad conditions (low light, etc...)  Now, since in period, not nearly
as many people read as do today, nearsightedness would not have
been as much of a problem.  Therefore, nearsightedness itself can
be considered an anachronism of period.  Since you cannot then escape
the anachronism, it seems foolish to us to do without that which
can correct the anchronism, albeit while creating another.

In service,
Lord Kendrick Wayfarer
Listkeeper, Merry Rose
---