Re: New Peerage? (fwd)

Poster: clevin@ripco.com (Craig Levin)

Alfredo:

> I like the concept of Court Baron as currently instituted a lot more than
> I like the title.  It's my understanding that, when the phrase "Court
> Baron" was used in the Period, the word "Baron" was the adjective in the
> phrase; that is, "Court Baron" was the term for something like what we
> call "Baronial Court", except lighter on the awards and heavier on
> judging disagreements on the Baron's lands.

As far as I know, that's how it was understood. The SCA concept
of a baron without a barony to lord it over can be paralleled
only by the Church of Rome's appointment of bishops to head
dioceses "in partibus infidelium" (ie. Libya) or the last stages
of the Crusader states, where barons whose lands had been overrun
by Saracens received "fief-rentes" or "money fiefs" in lieu of
the income they'd normally have received from their tenants, and
sat around in their sovereign's court eating up his income.
Perish the thought that such a thing would happen to our barons
and baronesses all!

I suppose we could change the "court baron" over to "member of
the royal comitatus," but that's not exactly what we want to imply,
either. It's a confusing situation, and the SCA's reward system
doesn't make it any easier.

> But I don't like using "Marquis" as proposed on this thread either;
> I would like that to be used as an equivalent to "Margrave".

AFAIK, margrave is also not presently used.

--
http://pages.ripco.com:8080/~clevin/index.html
clevin@ripco.com