Re: Smoking and Law

Poster: "Heather Swann" <swann@intercon.com>

> Poster: "Edward R. Ewen, Jr." <tewen@gandalf.cs.wcu.edu>
>
> > True, true.  But smoking is as addictive as heroin.  I don't know of
> > any smokers who can restrain themselves for as long as an event.
> > It would be nice if they could, but I don't see how it will happen.
>
> In truth, the last nuber I saw stated that cigarettes atr _four times_
> as addictive as heroin.  And, as I stated before, courtesy cuts both
> ways.
> I try to avoid subjecting 'innocent bystanders' to my habit, and I know
> of few (read: NO) smokers who smoke in public enclosed spaces.
> Tolerance, accomodation, compromise...goodness, such courtesies
> shouldn't be as difficult as this thread seems to indicate.
>
> > Except my wearing my glasses does not endanger your health...
>

> And, if you show me the same courtesy I try to show you, neither does
> my smoking.
>
> Edward

Good My Lord,
	I do appreciate your courtesy!  I appreciate the courtesy of any smoker
who does not smoke in a public area, so that I may go watch a tourney, or
enter a hall without difficulty in breathing.  I tried in my posts to clarify
the issue of the health risk for those who do not understand how the allergy
to cigarette smoke affects those of us who suffer it.  I thank you for not
putting those of us who are allergic at risk, and I think, perhaps, this
thread has become a bit too volatile.  I think as long as smokers are careful
to smoke away from public places, such as halls, tourney fields, or merchant
areas, and non-smokers appreciate the courtesy displayed by those addicted to
Sir Walter 'I've got a big pipe' Raleigh's discovery, we can all live together
in harmony.  I certainly wish it so.

	Miri