Re: Modern Personal Conveniences

Poster: steele@sprynet.com

On Tue, 26 Nov 1996, Lance Harrop <lharrop@mrj.com> wrote:

>Ah, but then the problem is the Scadian arrogance of claiming that we
>have achieved accuracy, and the what you see at an event is historical.
>If we would stop telling newbies that Scadian events are primary sources,
>and maybe invite them to read a book now and then, you wouldn't have this
>concern ;-) ???????
>
>p.s., I'm glad you think virtue is also important, but I have to believe
>that demonstrations of courtesy linger in the mind longer then the image
>of a perfect Tudor gown.

  Friend Liefer, I have found none who openly claim that the SCA has achieved
accuracy or that events are perfect replicas of anything. I don't know indeed
where the folks who get it into their soul that what they saw at an event or
worn by a member or sold at Pennsic is TRUE, but I have indeed heard the words
earnestly said. On such occassions, I have strained mightily to keep a straight
face and find a way to politely disagree where possible.
  Should we have more A&S groups that do non-craft research, then?
  Ah, but when we discuss courtesy then we get back into that already decaying
horse about historical notions of courtesy vs. Victorian/Hollywood notions of
historical courtesy vs. modern courtesy. Thus while I approve courtesy as an
abstract good, as a historical example it may take some serious thought and
research.>