Period glasses?

Poster: Stephen Mumford <redline@shore.intercom.net>

Greetings and Salutations, good folk all.

A week or so ago, the question of authenticity with regards to glasses was
commented on.  Having in my posession an antique pair of glasses, I was
thinking about having new lenses ground for them so they would be usable.

Unfortunately, I know very little about period glasses, but perhaps the
list may be able to offer a suggestion.  The pair I have looks much like a
pair of pince nez glasses, but the arm are telescopic.  At the end of each
arm is a loop, with a little bit of a cord attached (which presumably went
around the head to hold the optics on).  This sounds fairly similar to a
pair mentioned in passing on the list recently, so I thought perhaps the
good noble and ladies might be able to satisfy my curiosity over when and
where they may have originated...

By your leave,
Julienn de Montfort
(whose day-to-day eyewear dates from the late 1800s)
Scribe Ethereal to the Canton of Spiaggia Levantina
http://www.catharsis.com/sca