Re: $17 meridies events

Poster: edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com (Alfredo)

Gregory Blount mentioned a huge pay-late penalty of eight dollars
for an event in Meridies.  Isabel Chauliac d'Avignon explained that
this is a necessary evil because of the one-year advance deposit
required by sites in that Kingdom.  His Grace, Duke Galmr, notes:

> Actually, that $8 is purely punitive in most cases.  If I am going
> off-board to your event, there is no difference to you if I pay at
> the door or send a check two weeks in advance other than you now know
> I am coming :).  Most site require an arbitrary down payment up front
> and then the remainder is either also an arbitrary amount or based on
> the number of poeple who actually showed up.  In either of these two
> senarios where is the need to charge extra at the door?

I would like to suggest, since the Stewards of these events really
want to discourage unwanted behavoir (rather than take extra money)
that they make those who choose the pay at the door pay some sort of
non-monetary forfeit for the extra trouble they've caused.  Something
like drinking a whole glass of some harmless but vile-tasting drink,
or spending one turn of a sand-glass in stocks.

Please pass this suggestion on to anyone you know who runs events
where such punitive measures are necessary.

-- Alfredo

Alfredo el Bufon
Elvegast, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia
edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com
______________________________________
He hade vpon vche pece,
Wypped ful wel and wlonk;
The gayest into Grece,
The burne bede bryng his blonk.
Whyle the wlonkest wedes he warp on hymseluen --
His cote wyth the conysaunce of the clere werkez
Ennurned vpon veluet, vertuus stonez
Aboute beten and bounden, enbrauded semez,
And fayre furred withinne wyth fayre pelures --
3et laft he not the lace, the ladiez gifte,
That forgat not Gawayn for gode of hymseluen.
   "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight"