MR: Punishment or Incentive?

Poster: edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com (Alfredo el Bufon)

Lord Gawain Kilgore writes, in part:
> [...] here's how I've always viewed "charging more at the door
> than we charge those who prepay."  The door fee is the "actual"
> event fee [...] we ***discount*** the event fee for those who
> are able to make the effort to send in an early reservation.
> I've never once thought of it as a punishment.  I've always viewed
> it as an incentive.  Kind of like automakers' rebates.

If this _is_ the intention, and potential customers (including even
such august personages as his Grace) simply misunderstand, then
I submit that it's the people running these events who have a problem,
specifically, a Public Relations problem.  They should avoid phrases
like "late fee" in their event announcements, and employ ones like
"Act now and save!" or "A tourney with bated swords and rebated prices!"

-- Alfredo

Alfredo el Bufon
Elvegast, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia
edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com