a poem for your morning

Poster: Franca E Gorraz <francagorraz@sprintmail.com>

Good day, gentles all!

It is quiet in our tavern, today.. so perhaps you'll indulge me
if I tell you a poem? It was written quite a long time ago, by
Bonagiunta Orbicciani: a good man, even if he was from Lucca.
I was thinking about the very name of this gathering, about the rose...

Tutto lo mondo si mantien per fiore;
se fior non fosse, frutto non seria;
e per lo fiore si mantene amore,
gioie e alegrezze, ch'e' gran signoria.

E de la fior son fatto servidore
si' di bon core che piu' non poria:
in fiore ho messo tutto 'l meo valore;
si fiore mi falisse, ben moria.

Eo son fiorito e vado piu' fiorendo;
in fiore ho posto tutto il mi' diporto;
per fiore aggio la vita certamente.

Com' piu' fiorisco, piu' in fior m'intendo;
se fior mi falla, ben seria morto,
vostra merce', madonna, fior aulente.

 'Tis flower that keeps the whole world into being:
if flower existed not, neither would fruit;
and through flower does love flourish,
love, joy and merriment, a great domain.

And to flower I was made servant
so willingly, that I couldn't be more:
in flower I have set all the meaning of my life;
if flower defaulted me, surely I would die.

i have flourished, and more and more I flourish;
in flower I have set all my delight;
it is flower, for sure, that gives me my life.

The more I flourish, the more I burn for flower;
if flower defaults me, I die,
at your mercy, my lady, flower of sweetest scent.

Hoping to have made your day just a little merrier,
my greetings.

Eleonora Salutati degli Alberti (from Florence...)/Franca Gorraz
francagorraz@sprintmail.com