Re: your mail

Poster: Matthew Allen Newsome <mnewsome@warren-wilson.edu>

A period kilt for 1000AD is not a kilt at all, really, but a very long shirt.
One of the earliest accounts we have of Scottish clothing is actually
from the 11th century, so you are in luck.  The account is not very
complete, though.  It mentions that the Scots go barelegged, and wear
"kyrtlu" and "yfir hafnr" (If I remember the spelling right).  Kyrtlu can
be translated as a either skirt or tunic, and yfir hafnir is translated
as "upper garment."  More than likely what this describes is the leine,
and mantle.  A liene is basically a long tunic.  It would fall about
ankle length, but it would then be belted at the waist and bloused up, so
that the hem fell around the knees, like a modern kilt would.  A mantle
was a very simple form of cloak.  It was basicaly a "plaid" or blanket of
woolen cloth, thrown over the shoulders.  Eventually this became the
great kilt (belted plaid, i.e., belted blanket-- plaid is Gaelic for
blanket).  But in the 11th century it had not reached a stage
recognisable as a kilt yet.  You will find later patterns for leines from
the 16th century with huge, full, billows sleeves.  Most likely this
would not have been the case in 11th century leines.  I would speculate
that the sleeves would be closer fitting and the neckline would be either
a key-hole, or else just a basic hole-in-the-fabric.
Sorry this is a short answer.  Write me again if you have more questions,
or if you would like me to find the actual 11th century account and
reprint it for you.
Aye,
Eogan