Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 10:10:37 PST
From: Peter H Clarke <stephancm@juno.com>
To: ssilvers@liberty.uc.wlu.edu
Subject: Re: Scroll idea

On Wed, 18 Dec 1996 19:47:37 -0500 (EST) Scott Silvers/James of
Westmorland <ssilvers@liberty.uc.wlu.edu> writes:

>Poster: Scott Silvers/James of Westmorland
><ssilvers@liberty.uc.wlu.edu>
>
>On Wed, 18 Dec 1996, Thorpe, John wrote:
>> Greetings from Eldred!
>>
><snip>
>> I hear the "ooh, ahh, pretty" at Court.  As a scribe,
>> do get a kick out of hearing that.  However, I have
>> been told--to my face--that many fighters do not
>> appreciate scrolls, and I hear little to contradict
>> this.  This may be unfair by assuming that these
>> fighters are one-dimensional SCAdians.  Even so, I
>> find this attitude to have a negative effect on my
>> desire to do scrolls(at all).
>
>	Okay, I've got to stand up for myself and a number of other
>fighters here.  I'm a fighter, I freely admit that and I'm proud of
>being
>able to be a part of Atlantia's fine army.  I've only received one
>scroll, and it is not, to the best of my knowledge, anything more than
>nicely printed document with my name and a few other minor details
>added
>in.  However, the first thing I did when I got it home (I received it
>in
>the middle of War week this past Pennsic at a Baronial Court) was to
>put
>it in a frame.  It now sits on my desk above my computer.  I hope one
>day
>to earn my Award of Arms, and I will treasure the scroll that comes
>with
>it.  I also know of several other people who have received their AoA's
>
>who are fighters, and they could not take their eyes of the scrolls
>that
>were given to them.
>
>				-James

I thank James for jumping to the defence of the fighting folks.  I also
am a fighter, and I love my scrolls.  I have a wall in my house
dedicated to scrolls for myself and my lady, not that we have a wall
full of scrolls mind you.  I even go so far as to frame my promissary
scrolls because it usually takes some time to get the final art work.  I
also know of many, many fighters who have scrolls on display in there
house.  And I think a scroll is a fine prize for tournements.  I would
enjoy a scroll for winning a tournement, but I would love one
proclaiming me the most chivalrous fighter.

Any way that's my view of things.

Stephan