[Fwd: Re: Displaying heraldry]

Poster: Dan Mackison <DanM@skantech.com>

bmorris@access.digex.net wrote:

> Poster: Beth Morris <bmorris@access.digex.net>
>
> Mark Schuldenfrei wrote:
> >
> > Greetings from Tibor.
> >
> >           I have a question, there was a discussion a couple of months back
> >   about heraldry, devices and the like. I never quite got the jist of what was
> >   being decided. Is it OK to display on your shield a device that has been
> >   registered, but you do not have an AoA.
> >
> > To the best of my knowledge, is it just fine to display arms, whether you
> > have an AoA or not.
>
> Actually, that's precisely the distinction.  Anyone can display a
> *device*, that device only becomes *arms* when they are given by the
> Crown (by Award, Grant or Patent).

It took me a bit to understand this, so I will just repeat what was said
in different words for anybody else who didn't get it.

Display your device. Heraldry only adds to the atmosphere at events. If
you get an AoA, you may also call your device your arms... the only
difference between the two is a name.

---

I would encourage you to register your device before putting it on too
many things. This  first, prevents you from copying anybody else's
device. Second, it prevents you having to change things if what is
eventally registered does not exactly match your initial concept.

Another good idea I heard for if you have not yet registered a device is
posting your idea in your bathroom where you cannot help but see it
every time you use the toilet. If you are not sick of it after looking
at it for an entire month, register your device.

Dan
--
| Dan Mackison                          |
| dan.mackison@pobox.com                |