Re: [MR] Corinthian leather

Poster: Tom Rettie <tom@his.com>

At 01:39 PM 1/3/97 -0500, you wrote:

>If English used accents, there would be accented letters in our
>standard character set, just as the French and the Spanish and so on
>have.

Standard character set?  Well, all my fonts have accents included.  As do my
old lettering guides and transfers.  Even my good ol' American keyboard has
tilde, grave, and circumflex accents right there in front of me.  Sounds
pretty standard to me.

I think we just disagree on when a "foreign" word becomes "English."  I
think words like re'sume', passe', and pure'e, being used in everyday speech
and writing (and included in English dictionaries and thesauruses), are as
"English" as "sabotage," "guerrilla," and other recent additions.  Not
English in derivation to be sure, but in usage.

Your servant,

Findlaech mac Alasdair