Re: A question on pronunciation

Poster: mn13189@WCUVAX1.WCU.EDU

When I first saw the name Eogan spelled, the pronunciation guide with it
said that "eo" was pronounced as a "yo."  I assumed it was pronounced
YO-gan, and that is what everyone calls me.  Alternate spellings of the
name are Eoghan, and Eoghann (and probably tonns of others).  Eoghan
MacAlpin told me of a source he read that gives the pronunciation as OWN.
I didn't like the sound of that one bit, and still called myself YO-gan.
This summer, I was fortunate enough to take a class in Scottish folklore
from Dr. Margaret Bennet, formerly of the U of Edinburgh School of
Scottish Studies, and a native Gaelic speaker.  She said that the "h"
after the "g" in Eoghan cancelled the "g", and that the name was
pronounced YO-an.  I told her that I have seen it spelled without the "h"
and asked if that would affect the pronunciation.  She thought for a
moment and said that she has heard a diminuative form of the name Eoghan
where the "g" WAS pronounced and that the spelling without the "h"
probably represents that.  So everybody still calls me YO-gan, although
I'll answer to YO-an (and a few other things) as well.
Considering all that, I remain,
Eogan Og MacLaren