Re: [MR] Braveheart

Poster: "Edward R. Ewen, Jr." <tewen@gandalf.cs.wcu.edu>

On Wed, 15 Jan 1997, Corun MacAnndra wrote:

> Poster: Corun MacAnndra <corun@access.digex.net>
>
> Alfredo wrote:
> >
> >Since I was taught to ignore parenthetical directives, I feel I can
> >ask: If that film is so inaccurate, why did it win all those Oscars
> >over that other big moon-shot film?
<snip>
> The answer is simple. It was a good film. Mel Gibson was good, as was
> Patrick McGoohan. It was also historically inaccurate, and that, for me, was
> it's failing.

I would add to this one further comment.  The story of William Wallace
has all the elements required for a hit movie.  Somehow Hollywood has the
idea that even if the facts ARE workable, they still have to change
them.

  I would contend that an accurate portrayal of Wallace (with Mel
etc.) would also have won all those Oscars, and would have some value
beyond mere entertainment.  Hmmm, there's an idea...education,
entertainment, historical context....anyone want to form a Society?

Edward