Re: Arthurian Pronunciation

Poster: edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com (Alfredo el Bufon)

Alexii Stefanovic wrote, in part:

> I have a friend who is looking for a pronunciation guide to
> Arthurian names.  None of the standard references are helping.
> The target text is Mallory. Anyone know of such a source?

There is an Australian outfit called The Chaucer Studio that sells
cassettes of Middle English readings for about US$5.00 per cassette.

As you may guess, they mostly do Chaucer, but they have "Gawain"
and some other non-Chaucerian Middle English, and a little of
Old English and other medieval languages.

The only part of Malory's Morte D'Arthure they have recorded is
"Elaine of Astolat dies for love" as a small part of a twenty-dollar
two-cassettes-and-a-book offering called "Voicing Medieval Women".

They also offer a book called "Words, Words, Words" by Tom Burton,
which "analyses words, phrases, and names with an emphasis on mirth
and humor as well as semantic change." US$10.00

Their website at http://english.byu.edu/chaucer/index.htm provides
some .WAV samples and their full catalog.
There is another place called The Golden Clarion that offers recordings,
but they concentrate on Chaucer much more than The Chaucer Studio does.
No Mallory.  Their recordings are more expensive, too; $20-$30.

They also have a website that offers .WAV samples.  Pretty .GIFs, too.
The URL is http://www.vir.com/~marika/index.htm

You might also try the Arthurian Legend Home Page at
http://www.vmi.edu/%7Eenglish/arthur.html

-- Alfredo

Alfredo el Bufon
Elvegast, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia