A&S Champions (was: RE: Inter-Kingdom Anthropology)

Poster: James and/or Nancy Gilly <KatieMorag@worldnet.att.net>

At 16:08 24-1-97 +0000, Branwynn Ottersby wrote:
>On Fri, 24 Jan 1997, Becky McEllistrem wrote:

[snip]

>A&S Champion is a position of honour that can be chosen in many
>different ways, but generally for the person's demonstration of
>abilities in one or more of the arts/sciences. The champion may
>or may not have duties that accompany the honour.
>
>I personally think that the idea of an A&S "Champion" is somewhat
>off-base, and I prefer the Atlantian concept of a premier in a
>certain art/science (Meisterbrewer, Master Armourer, Poeta Atlantia,
>etc.) being chosen by competition in that particular art/science.
>
>branwynn ottersby

This latter theory works fine at kingdom or principality level, or perhaps
even for the more densely-populated baronies, when there is a wide range of
contestants from which to draw.  For smaller baronies, however, it makes
much more sense to have a single champion selescted through a general A&S
competition (perhaps with each entrant required to submit works in two or
more categories).

Windmaster's Hill, for instance, selected its four current champions
(fighting, fencing, archery, and A&S) in a single competition in which all
entrants were required to enter at least three of five categories: fighting,
fencing, archery, static A&S, and performance A&S.

Slainte -

Alasdair mac Iain of Elderslie          Argent, a chevron cotised azure
Dun na Leomhainn Bhig                   surmounted by a sword and in chief
Barony of Marinus                       two mullets sable