Review: Medieval Furniture Construction book

Poster: David KUIJT <kuijt@umiacs.umd.edu>

I've ordered and received my copy of

CONSTRUCTING MEDIEVAL FURNITURE by Dan Diehl, Stackpole Books, ISBN
O-8117-2795-5, cost $20 plus shipping.

Frankly, this is the finest how-to book on medieval furniture (and some
household metalwork -- hinges, decorative strapping, and a candlestand)
that I've ever seen.  And the best book for the SCA re-creationist artisan
that I've seen since the London Museum books.  The focus of Diehl's book
is more practical (including measured plans) than historical, but his
scholarship is still very strong -- the only thing I've spotted so far
that gives me pause is quite minor (the assertion that the tapestry
visible in the Tres Riches Heures du Duc de Berry feasting scene is a
painted tapestry, rather than woven, needs some support.  Sure, it could
be so -- as Diehl mentions in the same section, Cennini (early 15th C.)
describes the use and creation of painted tapestries -- but I don't see
any details in the original that support the idea that the tapestry
depicted is painted rather than woven.)

I strongly recommend this book to any woodworker in the SCA.  It also has
enough details of metalwork that I think any metalworker in the SCA would
be happy to own a copy.  It also has a section on techniques for making a
painted tapestry, and a number of useful sources in the back.  It is very
inexpensive for such a high-quality book.

Master Dafydd ap Gwystl