Re: Request for info...

Poster: Cole <missemma@coastalnet.com>

mn13189@WCUVAX1.WCU.EDU wrote:

> Poster: mn13189@WCUVAX1.WCU.EDU
>
> Greetings all.
>
> I was wondering if anyone reading this knew anything about the medieval
> history of the English Mastiff (i.e., uses of them, stories about them,
> etc...)  I ave been able to find precious little on my own, and would
> appreciate any help available.
> Thanks.
> Aye,
> Eogan

Emma the Big ( that's size not amount)dog lover pips up

Mastiff--- english
Originated as/in one of the ancient breeds of Europe as War dogs.  They
forght alongside their masters to repel the invasion of Britain by the
Roman Legions in 55 bc.
The Romans recognized the dogs great courage and imported them to Rome
(read stole them) to fight in gladiatorial contest against bulls, bears,
lions, tigers, and East Relmers.    The breed of war  dogs they come
from were so admired that Mastiff-Like Dogs generally called " dogues"
eventually were to give their name to all domestic dogs.
Currently- Working Breed.
-from the New complete book of the Dog.

The only one I ever worked with was loyal, slobbery, sofe in the brain,
and audibly flatulant.  Needless to say we didn't win the dog show.
Other than that I was rather fond of him.

Now anyone know a Clumber Spanial Breeder????? Or where I can get a
Dogue de Bordeaux really cheap..we're talkin' good home here.

Emma of House Wildrose, Lady Lawless

 Now buy me a beer..and let me pet your dog.