Re: Request for info...

Poster: "Stephanie M. Thorson" <smt2@st-andrews.ac.uk>

Scripsit Emma Lawless

> Now anyone know a Clumber Spanial Breeder????? Or where I can get a
> Dogue de Bordeaux really cheap..we're talkin' good home here.

The Dogue de Bordeaux is not currently an AKC-recognised breed, but I do
think I have seen ads from breeders of that particular beastie in
(American) Dog World magazine (available on your newstand).  They may
have UKC recognition, but I'm not sure about that.

The Clumber Spaniel *is* an AKC-recognised breed.  The AKC offers a
certain amount of breeder referral, mostly in the form of directing you to
your local breed clubs - the best place to start looking for a pure-bred
dog, IM not so HO.  They have a 900 number for this sort of thing, but I
don't have that immediately to hand.  They also have a Web site which may
be able to help you (and has photos and breed standards for all the
recognised breeds).  It's http://www.akc.org/ and is worth a look.

Cheap?  Well, that I can't promise.  If you're not dead set on a puppy,
you might be able to adopt an older or rescue dog for less, though.  Ask
around.  Talk to EVERYBODY you can get your hands on about that.  Ask lots
of questions about health clearances, too.  Things like "OFA"  (Orthopedic
Foundation for Animals) and possibly ophthamologists, cardiologists and
Von Willenbrand's Disease should come up in conversation.  Yes, this all
sounds awful.  But even if all you want is a pet and not a show dog, you
still want a healthy pet, right?  Not one crippled by hip dysplasia or
with a bleeding problem as a result of VWD.  Be informed!

Eogan - on the subject of Mastiffs, you should probably check the AKC's
Complete Dog Book as well.  They have a short breed history along with the
standard.  My copy is back in the US, but the book is in most public
libraries. (The breed histories are, sadly, not available on line AFAIK).

Getting off my soapbox,
Alianora
breeding and showing AKC Golden Retrievers for over 20 years now