Re: Really Cool Idea Exchange II

Poster: "Ed Hopkins" <Ed.Hopkins@MCI.Com>

At the Tavern I happened to overhear:

> i have two Really Cool Kids Ideas picked up from a recent sojourn in
> calontir (at the gathering of the chieftains in three rivers):
>
> little kids' activity:
>
> take several gallon milk jugs.  cut off about the top third.  turn them
> over (open side down) and cut two partial ovals out of them.
>
>                  -------------
>                 /             \
>                /               \
>                |    /\   /\    |
>                |   /  \ /  \   |
>                |   |  | |  |   |
>                |   |  |_|  |   |
>                |   |       |   |
>                \___|       |___/
>
> the bad ascii art is supposed to look like a helm with a nasal.
> spray-paint them black / silver / grey, and make little beanbags out of
> scrap fabric stuffed with newspaper.  kids can then either try to knock
> the helms off a table, or if they get tired of that you can upend the
> helms and they can try to throw the beanbags in.
[...]

What would happen if you did this with little beanbags stuffed
with beans, and an actual metal helm?  I think it'd look a little
more like something children would have done in the Period, but
maybe there's some other reason (such as safety) that made the
Calontiri opt for plastic.

BTW, I just got a CD called "The Chieftans: An Irish Evening"
which ends with a tune called "Rachamid a Bhean Bheag".  Could
this be referring to this very pastime, or to some other beanbag
game from the Period?

-- Alfredo el Bufon
Ed.Hopkins@MCI.com