RE: Summer University WAS RE: Seneschal's letter

Poster: "Thorpe, John" <thorpj@caepo1.columbiaSC.NCR.COM>

Greetings from Eldred!

Scripsit Alanna:
>I believe Mistress Deirdre's intent is to hold three university sessions
>per year, one central, one southern, and one northern, so that those who
>cannot make it even to a central part of the kingdom have access.  The
>upcoming Summer session will be northern, somewhere in the Baltimore/DC
>area.  I think she is waiting to hear about a site, but in lieu of other
>arrangements, Lochmere has volunteered to host it at the same site as the
>last Unevent.

I do not have a problem with Mistress Deirdre's intent.  In fact, I whole-
heartedly support it  (just define north, south, and central 8^) ).  The
intent
of my response had nothing to do with where University is held, and I guess
I did give that impression.  What I was referring to was the "Kingdom-wide"
meeting.

For a "Kingdom-wide" meeting to "discuss the future of the SCA" to be
held in the far north of the kingdom is somewhat of a disservice to the
southern-most part of the Kingdom.  It may be easy for the folks in
Charleston,SC to flit up I-95 to Washington, but you literally have to cross
the length and breadth of the kingdom to get to DC from say Greenville, SC
or North Augusta, SC.  Look at an interstate map if you don't believe me.
If you want to reach the most people, hold it at an event in the middle of
the
Kingdom.

Of course, the point is no longer moot, so the heck with what I
think.....8^)

Grumpily,
Eldred