vocabulary nit-picking

Poster: carl christianson <einar@cvn.net>

Milords and miladies:

There is a word that all too frequently is mis-used in this forum, among
others.  It is an easy mistake to make, for the mistaken word and its'
correct counterpart are homonyms.  That is to say, they sound alike.  These
two words are:  populous and populace.  "Populous" is an adjective that
means, roughly, densely inhabited.  "Populace" is a noun that means,
roughly, inhabitants.  Mom was an English teacher (gee, couldn't you guess?)
and she used to drill, and grill, me on such niceties.  I'm not being mean,
folks.  This is just one of those things that's starting to make me twitch!

In service (to the English language, if nothing else)

Elen Prydydd

(who was never broken of her addiction to run-on sentences)