Re: Grammar (fwd)

Poster: mn13189@WCUVAX1.WCU.EDU

On Tue, 18 Mar 1997, Craig Levin wrote:
> specializes in pre-Stuart mss.)-which I can. For a variety of
> reasons, Gaelic doesn't seem to have been a rich word-source for
> English; I seem to recall that the various American Indian
> languages have been far more generous, despite the fact that
> Gaelic speakers have been neighbors of English speakers for far
> longer.

The few words that the Germanic tribes did keep from native Celtic
speaking British peoples were mostly words for georaphic features that the
German tribes had no words for (like crag, for instance).  This is why
there are more place names in Britian with celtic roots than actual
vocabulary.
Aye,
Eogan