Re: Grammar (fwd)

Poster: James and/or Nancy Gilly <KatieMorag@worldnet.att.net>

At 15:07 18-3-97 +0000, was written:

>Poster: clevin@ripco.com (Craig Levin)
[snip]
> For a variety of
>reasons, Gaelic doesn't seem to have been a rich word-source for
>English; I seem to recall that the various American Indian
>languages have been far more generous, despite the fact that
>Gaelic speakers have been neighbors of English speakers for far
>longer.

A major factor in this was that most of the things discussed in Gaelic
(either Scots or Irish) already had names in English.  Early settlers in
America, however, were constantly finding new things for which they had no
names, so they adopted various Amerind words to fill in.

Slainte -

Alasdair mac Iain