[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Author Index][Search Archives]

Re: Rattan substitue

Poster: Wayne Precht <wayne@apollo.umuc.edu>

> Poster: Achbar@worldnet.att.net (James Morrow)
>   Prince Cuan showed us some pipe at Southern War Practice.  What is
> it called?  Where do I get it?  What are the Regs for it Please?

It is called Siloflex and I got it a Lowes (A large home and garden center
chain).  They had it in 4' lengths for about $3-$4 depending on the size. 
For a sword you need 3 pieces (one each of the 3 sizes they make (1"
I.D., 3/4" I.D., 1/2" I.D.), placed one inside the other.  It is legal for
practice only and aonly after informing your opponent.

My experience with it showed:
- weight and balance much the same as rattan
- energy transfer a bit less than rattan
- it has too much flex in it (the tip would move 2-4" after the sword
  hits a shield edge)

I am in the process of reconstructing it to try and reduce that without
making it hit too hard.  BTW PVC cement does not glue this stuff, though,
I am told that after wiping it down with Acetone, it might.  If the inner
pieces are glued together, it might be stiff enough to not whip over.

Duke Galmr.

| L. Wayne Precht                           | wayne@apollo.umuc.edu         |
| Applications Programmer                   | (301) 985-7336  (voice)       |
| University of Maryland University College | (301) 985-7860  (fax)         |
| Computer-Aided Learning & Research        | http://apollo.umuc.edu/~wayne |
List Archives, FAQ, FTP:  http://sca.wayfarer.org/merryrose/
            Submissions:  atlantia@atlantia.sca.org
        Admin. requests:  majordomo@atlantia.sca.org