Re: Rattan substitue

Poster: Logan and Arielle <logan123@charlotte.infi.net>

Wayne Precht wrote:

> Poster: Wayne Precht <wayne@apollo.umuc.edu>
>
> > Poster: Achbar@worldnet.att.net (James Morrow)
> >
> >   Prince Cuan showed us some pipe at Southern War Practice.  What is
> > it called?  Where do I get it?  What are the Regs for it Please?
>
> It is called Siloflex and I got it a Lowes (A large home and garden center
> chain).  They had it in 4' lengths for about $3-$4 depending on the size.
> For a sword you need 3 pieces (one each of the 3 sizes they make (1"
> I.D., 3/4" I.D., 1/2" I.D.), placed one inside the other.  It is legal for
> practice only and aonly after informing your opponent.
>
> My experience with it showed:
> - weight and balance much the same as rattan
> - energy transfer a bit less than rattan
> - it has too much flex in it (the tip would move 2-4" after the sword
>   hits a shield edge)
>
> I am in the process of reconstructing it to try and reduce that without
> making it hit too hard.  BTW PVC cement does not glue this stuff, though,
> I am told that after wiping it down with Acetone, it might.  If the inner
> pieces are glued together, it might be stiff enough to not whip over.
>
> Duke Galmr.

Just to add to this discussion

We have had the inner most section of pipe fly out after a very hard blow
gets blocked.  My suggestion is to do away with the third pipe and fill
the center with "Super Stuff" spray insulation (a suggestion from Alaric
which worked well) and wether or not you keep the smallest pipe drill a
small hole through them and place a nail or stove bolt through all pipes
peening the ends flat.  Of course the nail needs to at the bottom below
the handle of the sword.  As to the flex I have been working on a few
ideas and will post what I have come up with.

HRM Logan